Happy middle of January! Is it just me or are we moving through this winter a little too quickly? Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be happy when it’s time to store the winter clothes and boots! It’s just that as I get older, I’m in less of a rush for time to fly by… and it does seem to be going by faster and faster with each passing year. 🙁
The nicest thing about winter for me (in addition to tobogganing and a good snowball fight) is that we get to cook and eat all those comforting warm and cozy meals. The problem with warm and cozy meals is that they often require multiple pots and pans that we’re really not in the mood to wash after a relaxing dinner. I don’t mind this as much on weekends when I have time, but weeknight meals need to be quick and low maintenance so that we can get on with all the other chores, homework and a little down-time.
If you’ve browsed our food blog before, you might have seen a very similar recipe “Quick Weeknight Baked Chicken Thighs“. Today’s post is a modification of that same recipe. This time we included the rice with the chicken, all in one dish. This is handy when you’re trying to make clean-up time quick! The other benefit is that the spices on the chicken actually help flavour the rice. No complaints there… am I right? The cooking time for this recipe is longer than the other baked chicken thighs recipe we posted previously, because in this one-dish recipe the chicken cooks in liquid; however, the beauty of it is that you quickly prep the one dish, throw it the oven and wait for your finished meal. That’s it! Nothing else to wash, no worrying about getting your timing just right on two different dishes, nada! What a beautiful thing.
Let us know your thoughts on this recipe and what, if any modifications you did to it. We’re always looking for great ideas.
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups Italian rice (white long grain)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs cold butter, cut into thin slivers
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Pour the olive oil in a small bowl (the size of a soup bowl). Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Spray the inside of a tall rimmed large baking dish with the cooking spray.
- Add the rice and soy sauce.
- Stir the rice content to evenly distribute it and mix the soy sauce into the broth.
- Place the butter slivers in the baking dish.
- Place the bowls with the spice mix and the bowl with the oil near the baking dish.
- Lightly dip top of each chicken thigh in olive oil and then press into the spice mix to coat the top.
- Place each coated chicken thigh in the baking dish, over the rice and in the broth until all are coated.
- Place the baking dish in the oven uncovered on the middle rack.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Open the oven door and carefully run a spoon through the rice and around the chicken pieces. This will distribute the liquid so the rice can keep cooking evenly.
- Close the oven door and continue to bake for 20 minutes.
- Open the oven door and taste/test the rice. If it's fully cooked, remove the baking dish from the oven and serve. Depending on your oven, you may need to cook the rice for another 5 minutes or so. Once the rice is fully cooked, the chicken will also be ready.