I’m not sure if this happens to everyone, but I sometimes find that it’s just as difficult to decide on the side as it is the main ingredient of a meal. I often get inspired by a protein at the grocery store when I’m shopping for that day’s dinner and then struggle to choose the side that’ll go with that meat or fish.
There’s no shortage of side dish choices out there, but I feel that sometimes we just get in a rut.
This week I was browsing through our local grocery store and saw some very nice, very fresh looking in-store-made Italian sausages…bonus! Quick and easy for that evening’s dinner. Now what to serve with the sausages? Green leaf salad? … had it yesterday. Sausage sandwich? …I want something lighter. Rice? …had it the day before. Potatoes? …don’t want to wait that long.
Then it hit me! I still had some plum tomatoes and feta cheese at home from some previous meals. A nice fresh mediterranean salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese would be a perfect light side for the sausages. The extra bonus was that by the time the sausages were grilled I had the salad all ready to go.
Easy weeknight meal!
This dinner was perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Very little fuss, very little mess and prepared super quick! The family loved it.
Delicious healthy weeknight meals can be made at home quickly and easily. While we do like eating out occasionally, we really enjoy family meals at home more, so when the meal is this easy to whip together, it makes the choice simple.
Eat in tonight. Make it healthy and delicious, and always eat well, friends.
- 5 plum or roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, chopped or whole (throw in a few extra if using whole)
- 8 basil leaves, cut using the chiffonade technique
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¾ cups feta cheese + 2 Tbsp for garnish, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Add all the ingredients (except the 2 Tbsp of feta cheese) to a medium or large bowl in the same order as the ingredient list.
- Toss gently using salad tongs to coat the salad with the oil, vinegar and spices.
- Transfer the salad to a serving dish or bowl and top with the remaining feta cheese.