Disclosure: We receive compensation from some of the companies we’ve listed in this section if sales are generated through this website. We also choose to promote them because we use their services and are completely satisfied with their products and customer care.
Content is the most important item on our list. If it’s not easy to follow, not interesting, doesn’t look good or taste good, people won’t come back! You can join every network and you can be active on social media until you’re blue in the face. People will only come back if they like what you’re posting.
Here are some of our rules or food blog building blocks:
- Our recipes have to taste great to us… if they don’t, it’s not worth posting.
- Our food needs to look great! Discoloured pictures, pour composition and out of focus food can really turn off visitors.
- We need to connect with our readers. Don’t just write about your food prep or ingredients. Tell a story… let the reader connect with you on a personal level so that they want to come visit you (your blog) again to see how you’re doing!
- Consistency is so important. We currently aim to add three posts per week. This can get hard sometimes, but we try hard not to miss this goal.
- Recipes should be easy to follow! If your visitors can’t recreate your great looking, great tasting recipes, they won’t want to try them again.
- We have come to the conclusion that a solid inventory of recipes is another reason why people return. The more quality recipes you have to offer, the more they’ll want to come back.
These points may seem obvious, but they seem to be forgotten often. We encourage you to test recipes until they taste great. We encourage you to take lots of pictures, read about photography and shoot subjects that aren’t just food, to practice with different lighting conditions and situations… learn your camera setting! We encourage you to write/post as often as you can (but not so much that it stops being fun).
Starting a Blog Series:
Content is King